Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >

Notices

Old April 27th, 2008, 09:02 PM

Default making recordings

Stephen, what do you think of making recordings (cassettes, CDs, MP3s, whatever) of Ericksonian style hypnosis sessions? Seems like a great deal of the power of the approach comes from the utilization of a unique and unrepeatable situation.
At the most basic level, when they listen to it, the words are not going to be paced with their breathing anymore. At a more sophisticated level, bits of confusion& attempts to elicit amnesia certainly don't have the same effect when heard over and over. Metaphors would start to be analyzed by the conscious mind. Etc etc you get the point.
Old May 10th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Forum Leader

Default Re: making recordings

Unfortunately, you agree with me. I say 'unfortunately' because this is an unpopular position. I rarely conceded to make a recording for a client for all of those reasons in addition to one you overlooked. The daily 'positioning' of their problem, other stresses, recent home events, and so on, is also factored into my hypnosis sessions for the added relevance and impact.
Old January 30th, 2010, 07:42 AM

Default Re: making recordings

Trust me, this wouldn't make make it look any different than NLP...
Furthermore, NLP tapes r a lot more exciting to go through, they r flavored with exciting things (though useless)... Just think of Anthony Robins and that gang of buffoons and clowns... More exciting, though as useless...
Ericksonian Hypnosis has proved useless as a therapy tool. Just ask those therapists Honestly, who has any success rate treating severe depressions using Ericksonian techniques? just to take an example..
To be more frank, I have seen novices taking NLP, and in the first 3 days of their learning, they do amazing stuff. But then (with more learning) they become as useless as a "well-trained Hypnotherapist"...
And this is where Hypnotherapists become jokes...
The choice is urs, there is nothing new in those techniques, and they r known to all now... they don't work as therapy tools, but they work well for stage Hypnotists...
This is true even if u clone MHE himself and distribute him. Thos guys have NOTHING new that NLPiers don't have...