Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >

Notices

Old December 30th, 2004, 01:16 PM

Default Smoking Cessation Counseling

For many years I have been dreaming of working as a telephone smoking cessation counselor. I myself was able to quit this way, and found this method to be powerful and effective beyond far beyond any expectations. On the other hand, the only credential I have is a BA in Psychology, my ability to speak to anyone about the subject of addictions and smoking, a great interest in alternative health, and a compulsion to surf the web for hours and days on things that interest me. I envision this as a donations-only service, and I could work alone at first, and hire other counselors as I became busier. I could speak to individual clients about research results particularly relevant to them. I could be the one caring person they may need to stand between their urgency and that next cigarette.
I'm reaching out to anyone in the Counseling community who could give me any guidance as to (1) how to find out if I'm sufficiently credentialed for this work, (2) how to find work with Smokenders or similar organizations in case it turns out this is necessary, (3) what kind of insurance (if any) I might need, and (4) how best to find clients without spending a fortune (I am virtually broke with a poverty income).
Thanks for any input............... Thanks in advance. JR LaVine
Old May 8th, 2005, 10:37 AM

Wink Re: Smoking Cessation Counseling

Reva: Hi and great idea to want to help people with smoking cessation...I work in a private non profit clinic and am a licensed LMHC.. Your credentials are modest but whose to say that you can't be a great help...change comes when the person wants it...and we facilitate..I'm not sure what insurance guidelines and cyberspace caveats you would face but I would believe that collection would be more of a problem that credentialing...in any event good luck with your endeavor..dg
Old September 23rd, 2010, 08:06 AM

Default Re: Smoking Cessation Counseling

Smoking is the leading cause of preventable disease and premature death in the United States, killing more than 400,000 lives per year, which directly increases the risk of dying from heart disease, stroke, emphysema, and a variety of cancers.