Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >

Notices

Old August 19th, 2006, 06:21 AM

Default encapsulated "people"

I just read the thread "Encapsulating Parts of Self", but the thread was old enough that I felt I should start a new one.

I'm feeling such relief. Approx 7-8 yrs ago in therapy, somehow we got on the subject of what I've always thought of as 'my 15 year old'. We discussed the fact that I have 3 distinct younger people, but they weren't "P"ersonalities. He said he could recognize which one I was operating as quite easily. I was shocked because although I'd always visualized them as living in me, I had no idea someone else could recognize them or - and this is the big one - that it was ok! So we agreed to acknowledge them, with the clear understanding that I didn't have MPD (DID).

They're very distinct and different - ages 15, 8 and 3. I communicate with them now and then just through thinking, and recently have begun the right/left handwriting exersizes. Actually, the only one who communicates back to me is the 3 year old. They have so much to say and are in so much pain. For years I've spoken of certain times in my life in the third person, though not with everyone, of course. I never knew why, but it's never been particularly worrisome for me.

Anyway, that thread not only blew my mind, it also caused tears of relief because I dont think any of this will ever be over until I listen to them, accept them, and own what happened to them. Thank you for giving me permission, Sandra.

troubledwaters
Old August 19th, 2006, 12:13 PM
Forum Leader

Default Re: encapsulated "people"

As indicated in many posts in this forum, many many people with trauma histories or even emotional neglect and attachment problems have parts of self that must be addressed clinically to resolve symptoms. That's called ego state therapy, originated by Dr Jack Watkins and the subject of my workshops and book, once I get it published. It will have about a hundred insight oriented cartoons to illustrate key concepts related to parts of self and EMDR work.

It can be an enormous relief to people to have their entire self be addressed with compassion and acceptance. Parts are always there for a good reason, a survival reason. Additionally, every human being on the planet has parts. That's normal, or all our experience would be in one heap, like a house without rooms, just a warehouse. Trauma makes the walls thick between rooms. Lots of trauma makes the walls thick and the doors locked. EMDR will get stuck on such "houses," and ego state therapy is the key to unlocking the doors.

Such "people" are not actually people, just parts of a whole person. All are important and need to have a voice.