Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >

Notices

Old October 11th, 2004, 10:37 PM

Default EMDR, Dizziness, and Past Life Experiences

Hi all. I've been doing EMDR on and off now for two years. While I've sometimes felt drained afterwards, the sessions themselves feel very safe and predictable within the framework. That's why today was such a shock.

I had started to work on a negative statement and was going through the normal associations. Then I suddenly switched into what might have been past lives. All these memories of myself as different people in different situations in different times, but still tied into the theme of powerlessness.

When the session was over, I was so dizzy I could barely stand and I felt completely disconnected from my body. It took hours before I felt normal.

Has anyone else seen this or experienced this? What could cause the flashbacks to different people? And what caused the dizziness and the sense of leaving my body?

Any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Diane
Old October 12th, 2004, 03:55 PM
Forum Leader

Default Re: EMDR, Dizziness, and Past Life Experiences

I couldn't say for sure, and we don't do case consultations here, but I'll make a couple of general comments.

1) dizziness and feelings of depersonalization (or feeling not like yourself or as if one is someone else) are common in EMDR when dissociated experiences are tapped into.

2) sometimes what happens in EMDR is symbolic, not literal. So we just go by the results and don't worry too much about the contents.

3) all mental processes, in and outside of EMDR, are subject to sources of inadvertent distortion. Just part of the human condition.

4) I've heard several people say they felt they accessed past lives in EMDR, but its pretty hard to be sure that that is what is happening. Like I said, accessing dissociated phenomena or fantasy or even past movies etc could provide the same internal experience.
Old February 26th, 2005, 11:58 AM

Default Re: EMDR, Dizziness, and Past Life Experiences

I am a CBT therapist working in the Uk, I just visited the site out of general interest about EMDR. the reaction you describe sounds very similiar to Hypnotic hangover. This state reaction is very common in Hypnotherapists when they drift into hypnosis themselves. the symptom is nothing to worry about. i have been using Clinical hypnosis for years, and have experienced the same many times. Hope this helps.